I have sooo many friends that are due in the fall! And I am super excited for them!! Now honestly, I didn’t have a hospital bag. Nope I was not prepared at all!! I came in for what I thought was a check up but nope! Instead I was told that I would be admitted and they were going to start inducing me!! (I promise more on that story later!) I was in such a hurry I didn’t even shower before I went into the hospital! (Again, I didn’t expect to stay there either)
After I had the baby, I realized there are so many things that I needed but didn’t have!! Luckily my parents were in town, so they helped me to buy some stuff, but still, even with their help AND my husband, they had to make 2 trips! So I’ll be sharing with you some of the items that I think are definite must-haves while you’re in the hospital enjoying your very first few days as a mom! 😍
• dry shampoo – omg if only any of you saw my hair after I was in the hospital for 4 days 😭😭! My hair was super oily!! And I couldn’t shower! My mom and mother-in-law believed that since I just had a major surgery I shouldn’t touch cold water just yet. Believe me I was dying to take a shower! Who wouldn’t??! After 30 hours in labor and the surgery? The first thing I wanted to do was to take a shower! But please believe that you will not have enough energy to do that.. you will really want to.. but can’t quite just yet. I waited until I got home to take a shower. So the whole time while I was in the hospital, my hair was a big mess!! I didn’t let anyone take pictures of me because I thought I looked so bad! Now you don’t want that! You want the first picture with your new born ❤️
• nursing friendly dress / shirt / light-weight loose fitting pants —– now just because you had a baby doesn’t mean you will fit into all of your normal clothes right away. When I checked into labor and delivery I was at 140 lbs, had the baby, who was 7 lbs 4oz , left the hospital with exactly 140 lbs 😑 it was as if nothing has changed. You’ll want to wear something comfortable when you are leaving. Being in pain, tired, feeling loss is already enough. You don’t want to try to fit into something that’s tight. Like at all!
• Birkenstock sandals (or any flip-flop like sandals) — I recommend sandals because of the same reason as the loose clothing. You will not fit into your flats! I came in with my Birkenstocks… I left wearing my dad’s Nike sandals… 😑😑.
• hair tie / simple make up — so simple right? But oh my gosh it took my husband 2 tries to get it! 😂😂! Ggaahhh I just want a hair tie to tie up all my hair so my hair doesn’t get all in the baby’s face, is that too much to ask?? 😭😭😭 haha. That was exactly what I said to him! Lots of hormones and emotions going on after child birth mama, it’s okay to be slightly unreasonable. I thought I looked very pale after the surgery. I was told I lost a lot of blood during the surgery, and so I brought my handy dandy bareminerals complexion rescue. Just a little bit goes along way! I used that practically everyday when I was in the hospital! I don’t think it’s unreasonable or unrealistic to try and look good while you’re in a hospital!!?! Who said that? You are a new mom! You will get visitors, you want to look good and feel good! I mean you just had a baby, that took a lot! Treat yourself 😊. I even know some people who had make up artists come into the hospital and do their make up for them! If that’s in your budget and it’s what you want to do, go for it!!
• baby clothes — this one is my favorite!! Now you don’t want to bring too much (because we can’t help but want to bring everything – and because we think the baby will need to change clothes 10 times a day 😂😂) I would recommend bringing 2 or 3 swaddle blankets, 2 or 3 hats. Definitely some onesies! 2 or 3 as well (see, already you got 9 items for the baby 😂😂…just can’t help it..) and socks! Can’t forget socks! You wouldn’t want your baby’s cute little feet to get cold!
Now all of the above is in addition to the essentials— which to me, includes toothbrush, tooth paste, face wash etc!
I hope you find this list helpful as you prepare for your hospital bag! Don’t wait! It could happen earlier than you expected! Just like me!
Good night, loves ❤️❤️